Monday, September 11, 2006

An introduction to Systembolaget

Anyone who spends any time in Sweden will eventually end up in Systembolaget, the Swedish state owned alcohol monopoly. By most accounts, Swedes tend to enjoy their booze and Systembolaget appears to be designed to make obtaining alcohol as challenging as possible.

True, you can buy low alcohol ( less than 3.5%) beer in any grocery store. But really, 3.5%? Why even bother? If I wanted to hydrate, I would drink water. If you want real beer, you must go to Systembolaget.

In an apparent attempt to hide the presence of an alcohol store, the Systembolaget sign is really small and hard to find if you don't know what to look for. I missed it the first time I went looking. Once you are inside, the alcohol is displayed either on metal prison-style shelving or in glass cases. The beer is on pallets. Pricing, however, was not as bad as I had been led to believe. The cost of a case of beer was comparable to in Canada. Unfortunately, their selection of imported beer is quite limited. Swedish beer, which from what I have tasted so far is generally crap. No offense, guys, but I think you know it to be true. The best I have tasted was Norrlands Guld, and that was just passable. Needless to say, I will be importing some Sleemans the next time I am back in Canada. Incidentally, I asked for the catalog to see what I could special order, and there is NO Canadian beer available. Nothing. No Molson's or Labatts or anything. I was quite shocked.

While Swedes have a very healthy attitude towards sexuality compared to North America, they seem to be pretty hung up about the whole drinking/alcohol thing. Interesting.

6 Comments:

At 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Healthy attitude ???

Does it means five times a day?

Excellent blog Jeff,

Keep up the good work on updates.

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger GHO said...

You should be able to find Moosehead. I have bought that beer at bolaget several times, but in Umea you are so far away from everything so...And Molson is SO Canadian...

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger Jeff said...

I went through the Systembolaget catalog for foreign beer, Canada wasn't even there. There was a cider from the Okanagan though. I will try that when I grow breasts and start wearing lipstick.

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger The Wadd Squad said...

I couldn't figure out the "System's Company" so stuck to $18 rum and cokes at the Muddy Duck. Is that pub still downtown. Then again the exchange was 4.1-4.2 to 1 at that time so things were way more expensive.

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger The Wadd Squad said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:37 AM, Blogger Jeff said...

I have not seen the Muddy Duck, but I will ask around. Alcohol in bars and restaurants is still unbelievably expensive. I bought a round of drinks a few nights ago for 5 people, and when I did the calculation (Krona are still "funny money" with no real meaning) it turns out it cost me almost 100 bucks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home