Friday, November 17, 2006

Red wine ingredients improve endurance

I will restrain myself from mentioning yesterday's post about xc ski excuses, but the above headline really begs the comparison. Here is the complete link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/17/health/17drug.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1&adxnnl=1&ref=us&adxnnlx=1163775848-XD+MD188+MM5trn5AvWywg

Money quote:

"An ordinary laboratory mouse will run one kilometer on a treadmill before collapsing from exhaustion. But mice given resveratrol, a minor component of red wine and other foods, run twice as far."



The following observations have no connection whatsoever to the study at hand: How is it that I don't get to do treadmill tests with mice? I mean, how cool is that? I would pay money to watch this, I really would. Mouse jocks. Awesome. I bet the little xc skier mice kick every one else's ass and skew the data. I bet the best mice come from scandinavia.

Another money quote:

"Dr. Sinclair dosed his mice daily with 22 milligrams of resveratrol per kilogram of weight, and Dr. Auwerx used up to 400 milligrams. No one can drink enough red wine to obtain such doses."

Oh yeah? Wanna bet? If this stuff does what they say it does, then there is an athlete out there somewhere who is going to guzzle red wine until the whites of his (or her) eyes turns pink. I guarantee it. Dr. Sinclair clearly has not had much experience with elite endurance athletes. If WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency) hasn't banned it, and it can give you an edge, someone will try it.

On the upside, this development ought to make for wildly entertaining World Cup relays and mass starts in the very near future as plastered skiers line up at the start gate.

1 Comments:

At 10:28 AM, Blogger Rob MacEwen said...

Well they might not show up drunk but I'd bet a donut that someone has already injected themselves with this. Aren't the dopers 2 steps ahead of the mice?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home