Friday, February 08, 2008

Radiotjänst

The Television Taxing Authority. Arguably the most dreaded organization in Sweden. These are the folks who collect money to support SV1 and SV2, the Swedish public broadcasters. They are ruthless. If you own a TV in Sweden, they own you. "But", you ask, "How do they know if you own a TV?".

Well, first of all you must register with them if you buy a TV in Sweden.

"Aha!" you say. "But what if I buy my TV abroad? Then I can watch all the TV I want in Sweden without having to pay the piper."

Not true. Radiotjänst folks take a dim view of any apartment or house in Sweden that does not declare TV ownership. They have been known to peek into peoples windows to see if they have an illicit TV.

I am not making this up.

3 Comments:

At 12:21 PM, Blogger souvenir kattunge said...

My friend and her boyfriend bought a new TV and the store alerted Radiotjänst about the purchase.
A representative from Radiotjänst showed up at our flat after my boyfriend bought a new TV.
They REALLY want their money.

 
At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How much do you have to pay???? Long live CBC.

 
At 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don´t mind the Swedish system - of course it may sound a bit rough if you don´t pay your license... One of the advantages is that there are no commercials at all in the public television - while all the other channels are very annoying to watch with commercial breaks every 10-15 min's.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home