Sunday, May 13, 2007

I (Heart) Verka Seduchka



So much to say here. Wow. First let me tell you a little about the Eurovision song contest. This is an annual competition between the best up-and-coming bands from every European nation. It is kind of like Canadian (or American) idol, except it is actually cool.


Unlike Idol, the music varies from stadium rock to metal bands to lounge music to solo singers, to I-have-no-idea-what-the-hell-that-was (see photo above). The format is more stadium rock than the club type format of Idol, so it is way higher energy.


Last night was the Eurovision final in Helsinki, and as far as I can tell, the entire continent came to a standstill last night to watch and vote. I don't really understand the voting process, people could call in to vote, but there was also some kind of mechanism where bands that were about to be eliminated could contribute their votes to the band of their choice. Regardless, the winner was from Serbia - Marija Serifovic. She was a solid performer and her song was definitely good. It had a certain sweeping quality. It would be great in a Hollywood movie soundtrack at the climactic point in the film where the action goes to slo-mo and the protagonist, having finally overcome his personal demons and in the face of overwhelming odds, runs through a sheet of flame to rescue his spunky but exhausted girlfriend from imminent catastrophy. You know what I am talking about.


I also have to put in a plug for The Ark, who were the entry from Sweden. Their tune The Worrying Kind was extremely catchy. It rightly gets a lot of airplay over here, and despite their dismal result (18th) they will do well domestically at the very least. They have a simple pop-rock kind of sound. Imagine combining prototypical '50's rock like Bill Haley and the Comets with Abba, and you might be close.


However! My vote (and heart) , went to Verka Seduchka - the contenders from the Ukraine, who are unquestionably the most bizarre band I have ever seen in my life (again, see photo above). I defy you to watch this clip of their performance last night and not pee your pants laughing. I have watched it a dozen times and I still crack up. Not to mention, the tune has a really good hook. They ended up in second place. For sheer entertainment value, they absolutely should have won. They are spectacular. If they ever, ever come on tour anywhere near where I happen to be, I will definitely go see them. They are so over the top, it defies description. The photo above is of their lead singer. Who, I might add, is a guy. Imagine combining the Daleks from Dr. Who with the Village people, and dressing the result in leiderhosen. Watch the clip. Please, go watch the clip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home