Friday, May 04, 2007

A bit of a breakthrough

Two small victories today in the long, long road of learning this accursed language. First was in Clas Ohlsson's. Clas Ohlsson's is kind of like a hardware store on 'roids. It is to old men what honey is to ants. I had to go in because I needed a Whitmore thread tap and die set. This is a bit of a specialty item, and I saw they didn't have what I was looking for. So I squared my shoulders and marched with authority up to the help counter where I confidently stuck out my hand and took a number. Those number dispenser thingies are everywhere. Banks, hospitals, hardware stores... anyhow. I waited my turn then successfully, in halting Grade 1 Swedish, asked the dude behind the counter if they had Whitmore taps. I admit that I looked up what a tapset was beforehand in preparation. I realize that many of you may find yourself in the situation of having to ask about a Whitmore tap in a Swedish hardware store so for future reference, a Whitmore tapset is Gangtap Whitmore. I know, I know, you will thank me someday.

But wait! It doesn't end there. The guy told me that no, they did not have Whitmore taps. I then asked if he know where I could find Whitmore tapsets. He told me that I might find them at Laitis (another hardware store).

Then a bit later,at my orienteering club training, I found myself chuckling at a small joke somebody said. Somebody called somebody else Den köttbullar fran Holmesund. This translates as the Meatball from Holmesund. You have to know the guy to understand. Trust me, it is funny. And I actually picked it out of the conversation. Of course I have no idea of the context it was said in. Details, details.

Victory is mine! Soon I will be waxing on eloquently about international trade deficits while wearing a smoking jacket.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home