Monday, April 23, 2007

Back in Umeå

Hej!

For those who don't know or whom I didn't personally see, I was back in Canada for a week for the CIOR in between meeting in Toronto. I just got back a few hours ago and I am trying to stay awake until this evening to get over this jetlag.

I have been hearing noises about union problems at Arlanda airport with the baggage handlers, but today I got my first personal experience. Arriving on an international flight, you must pick up your baggage and then re-check it onto the domestic flight. It does not get transferred for you. Based on my observations today, I am going to guess that there are some sort of statistics kept about how long it takes between passenger deplaning and the first bags whicha arrive on the belt. From a customer service point of view, this seems logical. However, any system can be gamed...

I was towards the front of the plane and I walk fast so I was one of the first to arrive at the baggage belt for out flight. As I arrived, the belt started and the first bags began to arrive. The automated sign above the belt declared that the first bags from our flight were now available.

There were exactly two bags delivered. After that we all waited nearly a half hour before any other bags appeared.

My guess is that the workers get some kind of a bonus if they have really good time-to-first bag statistics. So as soon as the belly door opens, one designated guy grabs the first two bags and rushes them over to the delivery belt. After that, the workers can take their time and leisurely offload the remainder of the bags. Makes sense based on what I saw, anyhow. My only surprise is that they bothered bringing 2 bags. I am sure 1 would have been sufficient to punch their statistic.

Happily, my flight to Umeå was delayed because of crappy weather in Sweden (poor visibility and drizzly), so I didn't miss the last leg of my journey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home