Monday, October 09, 2006

Svensk för invandrare

Well, I finally started my Swedish lessons tonight. I am taking the Svensk För Invandrare course which polite people refer to as SFI and everyone else calls Swedish For Idiots.

Rightly so, because when I introduced myself to the guy sitting beside me, I made small talk by asking how long he had been in Sweden. Answer: 10 years.

Oh.

Dude, I am thinking that if you have been in this country - any country - for 10 years and you are still taking the beginners course for the local language, odds are that it probably won't be doing you any good anyhow.

So, here is some of the scintillating conversation I learned which will blow 'em away at my next black tie and champagne event :

Me: Hej! Jag heter Jeff. Vad heter du?
Person B: Jeg heter "B". Varifrån kommer du?
Me: Från Kanada och jag taler engelsk och franska.
Person B Jaha! Vad går du hår?
Me: Jag forskar.
Person B: Hur länge stannar du i Umeå?
Me: Ett år
Person B Då kanske vi ses igen
Me Det går vi säkert

As long as the person I talk to does not show any conversational initiative and change the script in the slightest, I am golden.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home