Sunday, October 01, 2006

The weekend

This weekend went way faster than I expected. I was kind of hoping to get some work done, but that just didn't happen. Too much orienteering going on for that.

Saturday was the Vasterbotten sprint and night-o orienteering championships Vasterbotten is the province UmeƄ is in. I participated, and was fairly pleased with the results. Provincial orienteering races here are about the same level of competition as Canadian championships. Sprint orienteering is more of a running race than anything. It is technically easy, which means you have to run fast. I was 5 minutes behind the winner, he arrived in 19 minutes, and I got in in 24. However, I was assessed a 2 minute penalty for a technicality that was only explained in Swedish at the start and which therefore escaped me. Anyhow, it was not at all a bad race.

The night-o was 8.9 km, which is as long as most day time meets. I caved and bought a proper night-o headlamp, and holy smokes does it make a difference. You can actually see where you are going. I managed to get to control 12 before the batteries died and I had to bail out of the race after 2 hours in the woods. I was very pleased though because I was in contact with the map the whole time, which was a novel experience for me in night-o. Only one guy completed the full 8.9 km, so I was in good company - many other good orienteers failed to go the distance before their headlamps gave out.

Today I rollerskied 4.5 hours. I am rather tired. I skied 2 of those hours with my advisor, who impressed me mightily. He does not train much, but he managed 2 hours despite being quite cold and probably bonking (it rained all day today, and he did not bring any food). He looked pretty shaky at times, but not a word of complaint passed his lips. He was always cheerful and positive. I respect that much more than superfit prima donnas who are whiners. Not that I would name names.

Steve Cyr.

Whoops! Did I type that out loud?

Now I am tired and will go to sleep for oh, 14 or 15 hours I think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home