Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Swedish boglands


Here are a few pics my friend Jörgen just sent me. They were taken last Friday when I went with him up to his experimental plot on a bogland north west of Umeå. He is just finishing his Ph.D. in some biology thingy that was over my head. Something about how much methane a bog produces, I think. Anyhow, the first pic is at the little hut that houses the computers and analytical equipment. The second is of me with a mother lode of färticka mushrooms which Jörgen claims are edible. I will stick to yummy cranberries and lingon berries, thanks.

In the first photo, the grassy looking areas are actually marsh. You sink up to your knee if you walk across it. Per Eloffsen the former World champion xc skier from Umeå was famous for running across this stuff during training. I had the misfortune of doing this once during an orienteering race. It is incredibly difficult. It feels like running with a coke machine strapped to each leg.

3 Comments:

At 7:52 AM, Blogger The Wadd Squad said...

I did my PhD research at Stor-Amyran on CH4 and CO2 exchange and hydrology near Umea. That peatland is SW of Umea.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Jeff said...

Hey Mike!

Glad you are still dropping by from time to time. Jörgen said you had probably done your work at Stor-Amyran. The bog in this photo is up by Tavelsjö

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger The Wadd Squad said...

Tavelsjo is where all the great orienteering maps are in Umea area. Got to Haddingen and if you don't get lost you've done well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home