Saturday, October 21, 2006

CBC overnight

One of the nice things about being in Europe is that I get to hear the overnight CBC broadcasts at a reasonable hour. When I wake up here in Sweden, it is 2 am back home. They often broadcast international stuff, like BBC international and Netherlands international.

I didn't know before moving here that CBC always broadcasts the national anthem at 5:55 am Central time, just before the daily morning broadcasts begin. I think this is great and bit surprising. It smacks of patriotism, something the CBC generally seems to avoid. What I don't like, however, is that a couple of bars into the anthem, they fade it to the background and a CBC talking head starts giving the details of the upcoming CBC broadcast. In effect, they turn the anthem into background elevator muzak. It just seems a bit disrespectful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home