Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Fettisdagen


Normally I am up to speed on interesting Swedish cultural things before they happen. St. Lucia, for example. However, for one reason or another, Fettisdagen caught me off guard.

On Tuesday we were eating in the cafeteria and people were loading up on some rather tasty little pastries, which is not normal (Swedes don't eat dessert at lunch. It is written in their constitution.) Most folks were also eating baked beans, which was also a first in the cafeteria. So I inquired what was going on.

"What is going on with the baked beans and pastries?" I inquired.

"Actually, it is Fettisdagen." (Swedes tend to preface any statement with "Actually", much like we Canadians suffix statements with "eh". I find it kind of cute)

"Jaha." I replied thoughtfully. "And what exactly is Fettisdagen?"

"Actually, it means "Fat Day". On this day it is traditional to go go skiing, eat beans and these wonderful little pastries. They are called Semla. Actually, you must try them. They are delicious".

"Really?" I replied, quite intrigued. "So you actually have a day reserved for skiing and eating pastry. How excellent. Are you kidding me?"

"Actually, no. It is a serious tradition that we think has some kind of religious meaning, but we aren't so sure because Sweden is probably the most secular place on the planet after Quebec."

"Fascinating." I answered, fascinated. I mulled this information for a bit. "So would Fat Day have anything to do with Shrove Tuesday?"

"Actually, perhaps, but we have no idea what a Shrove is."

"Right, right... OK, how about Mardi Gras?"

"Yes! Oh - uh, Actually, yes. You caught us by surprise there."

"So Fat Day in Sweden is the same as Mardi Gras in Rio and New Orleans"

"Actually, of course! That is what we have been trying to say."

"So while folks in Louisiana and Rio go nuts, get naked and party until dawn, in Sweden people go skiing and eat pastries. I see. "

Everyone at the table nodded in serious actual agreement.

But you know something? I dig it. I would much, much rather go skiing and eat pastries than fling myself into the debauchery of Mardi Gras. Well, OK, I wouldn't mind experiencing that level of debauchery at least once in my life (CIOR Gala Balls do not count). But on a day-to-day basis, skiing and pastries would definitely win out.

Seriously. Actually.

5 Comments:

At 10:31 AM, Blogger Rob MacEwen said...

At first I thought you were going to say that they imported eating baked beans and pastries from Quebec!

 
At 2:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here in Zurich area that day - yesterday - is called Schüblig Ziischtig, the last day of carneval. Schüblig being a very fat sausage, and Ziischtig is the Swiss German word for Tuesday. So most people eat such a sausage either at home or in a restaurant - and then go (or did go) fasting for 40 days until Easter, i.e. no meat on the table!

 
At 1:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No dessert at lunch! I will not be able to make Sweden my home...ever. Do you think they would shun you if you did want dessert? Or could I just be the wierd Canadian who eats dessert?

 
At 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CIOR Gala Balls do count. Just wait until Riga!

 
At 2:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm. I wonder who that last anonymous writer was ???!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home