Sunday, January 28, 2007

On carbo loading

For the non-athletes out there who read this, carbo loading is the process of increasing the amount of glycogen in your muscles before a long race. Glycogen is the "fuel" for your muscles, so the more you have, the longer you can go without running out of energy (known as the dreaded "bonk"). Carbo loading is at its essence pigging out.

A lot of skiers love carbo loading. You get to eat as much as you like and taper your training. Typically, three days before a long distance competition, you reduce your training substantially and start eating lots of complex carbohydrates: pasta, rice, potatos. You also have to drink lots and lots of water because glycogen is stored with water in your muscles. These muscles, still accustomed to having to replace the glycogen in your muscles quickly before the next training session, take all these carbohydrates and quickly pump your muscles full of glycogen. It is normal to gain a kilogram or two from carbo loading inside of 3 days. This is not fat - it is the extra water and fuel stored in your muscles.

I think eating is a waste of time anyhow, so carbo loading for me is just something that has to be endured. I equate eating with filling your car with gas: a necessary chore. I tend to put it off until the last minute when I become ravenous and am forced to eat something before passing out. Well, that doesn't happen often, but I have been known to forget to eat a meal or two when I am really focused on other things.

While I carbo load and force myself to swallow yet another bite of pasta even though I really don't want to, I always think of those geese they force feed to get their livers all nice and tender for foie-gras paté. I dislike the feeling of having a bloated, full stomach. I much prefer the feeling of slight hunger. I think it makes you sharp. Sadly, feeling hungry before a long distance race is kind of like having the sword of Damocles hanging over your head. Even though you feel just fine for the time being, you know without a shadow of a doubt that it is going to be a very long, painful day. And so I carbo load. Sigh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home