Friday, January 19, 2007

Well this kind of blows

So those achy muscles I have had all week weren't because I overdid it training.

Turns out I have some kind of low-grade flu or something.

So here is my dilemma: The race this weekend is probably the only race within a day's travel from UmeƄ that I will be able to do this winter. This race is a seeding qualifier for the Vasa, and all the other such races are already cancelled due to lack of snow or are really far away (far enough to require a flight, like in Finland). I know that racing 40 km while sick is stupid, but I also know that I am in good enough shape that as long as I just finish the race, I will be upgraded in the seeding. This is important, because if you are not seeded, you are put behind everyone at the start. If that happens the Vasa transforms from a 5 hour race into an 8 hour sightseeing tour. I haven't trained this hard to go sightseeing.

So sick or no, I will probably be racing Sunday unless I am positively bedridden. No matter how sick it will make me, I will have lots of time to recover before the Vasa. And I have to keep my eye on the prize here - sometimes a bit of discomfort is necessary to achieve your goals.

2 Comments:

At 8:25 AM, Blogger Rob MacEwen said...

Knowing you, you'll post some kind of crazy personal best.

Get well soon!

 
At 6:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm. What would Olles do? Why he would race unless he lost a leg of course. Just a thought.

Suck it up, buttercup - you only live once, and starting at the back of the pack of Vasa doesn't sound like your kind of living to me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home