Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Kajaani-Vaasa

This was a pretty sporty trip. Arrived at the Kajaani train station to find that the ticketing booth was closed. The automatic ticketing machine was only in Finnish and Swedish, which was pretty much useless to me, seeing how I had to book a complex overnight trip. So, I held my breath and got on the train at 22h45 with no ticket. Happily, it turns out that in Finland you can purchase tickets from the conductor. In Switzerland, you would get a pretty stiff fine for not having a ticket when you board. I got a sleeper between Kajaani and Tampere, arriving at 05h15. I had to change trains again in Seinajoki, and then haul my bags through the streets of Vaasa to find the bus to take me to the ferry terminal. Incidentally, I do not recommend hauling a 90 lb skibag and 60 lb duffel bag around Finland. Here is a map showing the towns I went through.
http://www.google.ca/maphp?hl=en&q=&ie=UTF8&z=7&ll=62.593341,24.916992&spn=2.397512,8.55835&om=1

Kajaani is just a bit north of Isalmi.

I get on the ferry in 2 hours, and should be in Umea in 5 hours.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home