Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Drag hund sport

So I was out last night doing intervals at Nydala. The loop still has 1.8 km of great snow, and I was doing a full loop double poling at race pace.
On my second interval, I hear someone skiing up behind me, but fast. You can kind of tell how quickly someone is approaching just by listening, at least more-or-less. This guy was supersonic.

So I am at race pace and this dude passes me, going twice my speed. Lets say, I am doing 20 km/hr, he must be doing 40 km/hr. Easily. However, he has help. See, he was tethered to a sled dog and this dog was basically dragging him around the trail. Holy smokes, I couldn't believe it. He was skiing, I guess, but at least 90% of the propulsion is coming from that dog. It was awesome.

So I catch up with him (and his dog) at the parking lot, where they are taking a break, and start chatting with him. It turns out that skiing with dogs is a popular sport in Sweden, called drag hund. They have competitions and everything. Monday nights dogs are allowed on the trail, so that is when these guys come out to train.

I don't need to add that the dog was going absolutely bonkers. Giving these dogs the chance to pull someone seems to be as great a treat to them as offering ice cream to a toddler (or to me).

Definitely have to go check out one of those races.

1 Comments:

At 8:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What do they call it when you are running vice skiing? I do this with Nitro a few times a week. I really encourage him when we are going up hills. You can borrow him anytime.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home