Monday, November 06, 2006

Gerry O'Kane take II

OK, I have no idea what happened with this post - it kind of disappeared all by itself. A self-delete. Blogicide.

What I was saying was that back in the early to mid 1990's, Gerry O'Kane was the pub scene in Kingston. It would not be too much to say that he had a cult following. He was a true Irish balladeer, and singing along to Finnegan's Wake was one of the best things about Friday nights in Kingston. So I went looking for him on the 'Net recently, only to find that I am not the first to do so. Apparently he has moved back to Ireland and nobody has heard from him in about 5 years. So for those who do remember him fondly, this site has some (poor quality) MP3's of Gerry live at the Welly (Wellington Pub, defunct since about 1998) in 1992. If you ever experienced one of his evenings of sing-alongs, this recording will bring back some great memories.

http://neptoonstudios.com/Mark/IrishBallad/LiveAtTheWelli.mp3

"Up yer kilt!"

2 Comments:

At 9:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgot to say thanks for posting that link. It brings back some very fond memories. In fact it makes me regret not getting out to the wellington more often.

I just wish I could get my hands on one of the tapes Gerry used to sell. I am sure one exists somewhere but we just need to get it converted to mp3.

 
At 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I put the time in on this recently. You can find all the tracks from one of his Live at the Wellington tapes on my site at http://www.michael.lesauvage.name/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home