Wednesday, November 08, 2006

A brush with fame

I was out at Lotta's Krug - a local pub - with Håkan and some guys from work last night. As I was ordering a beer, two women whom I kind of recognized walked through the door. Turns out they are two players for Umeå IK, the local women's soccer team that is basically the best in the world. I tried to practise my rudementary Swedish (Hej! Jag heter Jeff...) with them, only to be informed in flawless English that Anne http://www.uik.se/annmak.html was from Finland, Lise http://www.uik.se/liskla.html was from Norway, and neither speaks Swedish very well. Oh. Oops. They were both very nice, if a bit distant. Bored would be another word I could use. I imagine having strangers approach them in bars in Umeå is not a new experience for either of them. I gamely tried to maintain a conversation for a couple of minutes before conceding defeat. Both totally lost interest when I was unable to name a single female Canadian football player.

It was still cool.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home