Friday, September 01, 2006

Orienteering

I seem to have been recruited by Umeå OK, one of the orienteering clubs here in town.

This is the same club that Mike Waddington belongs to. Mike is a multiple Canadian champion, and he did his Ph.D. thesis work here in Umeå 10 years ago or so. During his time here, he appears to have kicked serious local ass in o-meets.

I have spoken to a couple of members of Umeå OK, and I get the sneaky suspicion that they think I am some kind of a ringer on the scale of Mike or something. My protests of being a crappy but enthusiastic orienteer just don't seem to have any effect. I think they think I am just being modest.

I am not. I really am a crappy but enthusiastic orienteer. I hope I don't dash too many hopes when I crash and burn at the race this weekend.

On the upside, Björn, the Umeå OK webmaster ( www.umeaok.se ) just gave me a map of Gammlia. This is a big park in Umeå with lit ski trails in the winter. My apartment building is on the map. I LIVE ON AN ORIENTEERING MAP.

I can die now. My life is complete.

2 Comments:

At 5:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, well, Jeff.. You can not die now, you still have Jukola to see :o) Good luck for the race and have a nice weekend ! Br, Päivikki

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger The Wadd Squad said...

You are bringing back great memories. Make sure you get Anders Fries or somebody to take you to Haddingen map. Fantastic map. It will take some time for you to get used to Swedish mapping styles (they don't seem to like putting green or open rock on their maps).

The big relay at the University must be coming up soon.

What building is your office in? Mine was in Skogis.

O-ringen sprint took place on Gammlia in '97

 

Post a Comment

<< Home