Saturday, March 24, 2007

Tundra skiing








I took advantage of the awesome spring skiing conditions to go out to the Bothnia this morning. Crust skiing was perfect, you could just scoot along the surface with almost no friction at all. I skied along the shore for the first hour, then headed straight out towards Finland. Eventually, I got to a point where all I could see was ice and sky. It was probably the closest I will get to skiing in the Arctic. It was quite amazing. I can see how you can easily lose your bearings and get lost. There are simply no visual cues. Happily, when you leave ski tracks behind you, it is pretty hard to get lost.

4 Comments:

At 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

totally awesome. so much great nothingness makes my heart ache. lucky you!

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger Rob MacEwen said...

looks awesome. Do you ever see any animals walking around out in the wilderness?

 
At 4:49 AM, Blogger Jeff said...

I saw some tracks, but no animals. I have no idea what animals do so far out in the middle of nowhere, but even the furthest out I got, I saw what looked like fox tracks.

 
At 5:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are probably wondering the same about you. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home